Divorce Opinions now offered

Levine Associates is pleased to announce that we are now offering clients Divorce Opinions. As more and more of our family law clientele are immigrants many have to contend with foreign divorce recognition when they wish to get married in Canada. Our family lawyers now offer Divorce Opinions to facilitate second marriages for people who have been divorced abroad.

A foreign divorce opinion letter is required when a person wants to get married in Canada and one of the parties to the new marriage has been divorced outside of Canada.

Because of the residency requirements of the Divorce Act, Canada will not recognize some foreign divorces. Thus, a person needs a letter from a lawyer stating that it is their opinion that the foreign divorce would be recognized under Canadian law.

As long as one of the parties’ who was previously divorced resided in the country for a year prior to the divorce it is a rather straightforward exercise.

Posted in Family Law Firm News |

Please note: There is no solicitor-client privilege attached to this communication.  Sending an e-mail to Levine Associates will not make us your lawyers.  You will not be considered a client of the firm until we have agreed to act for you in accordance with our usual policies for accepting clients.  Unless you are a current client of Levine Associates, please do not include any confidential information in your e-mail, because no information you send us can be held in confidence, and no information we provide to you can be treated by you as legal advice, unless and until we have agreed to act for you.  There is no solicitor-client privilege attached to this communication.