Foreign Nationals generally are not able to work in Canada without a work permit.  Foreign Nationals who graduate, are eligible to apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

There are many advantages attached to such a permit.  First, the permit is “open” which means that the person can work in any occupation and the employer is not required to obtain a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) which can sometimes be difficult to obtain.  Second, the permit can be for as long (but no longer) as the length of time the person was in Canada studying up to a limit of 3 years, which can provide the worker with a long time within which to gain important skilled work experience.  Third, Canada now accepts the PGWP as a basis for making an application for permanent residence within the Canadian Experience Class.

Get a post-graduation work permit

Those who have obtained a PGWPP are entitled to gain Skilled Canadian work experience. If a person can gain one year of experience in a specially designated skilled occupation, the worker can qualify for a Canadian Experience Class Permanent Resident Visa.