Normally a visitor is entitled to enter and remain in Canada for a period of 6 months.  However, in some instances an officer may be of the opinion that a foreign national’s length of stay should be limited to a period of less than six months.  In such cases a visitor is issued a visitor record (IMM 1097 or 1442) which stipulates the foreign national’s right to remain in Canada for a period of less than 6 months.

The visitor record is recorded in FOSS,  and where applicable printed and attached to the foreign national’s passport.  The record may indicate any conditions on the visitor, the maximum duration of any stay and other relevant information.

Typical examples where visitor records might be issued include where a visitor’s passport has less than 6 months remaining before it expires or a visitor with a valid student or work permit which expires in less than 6 months.